Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Swedish Pancakes


So... I have to apologize for my lack of posts lately. In addition to being extra busy with work, we have also made a few small trips away this summer, and this has really impeded my posting! But DON'T WORRY, Peter has not starved for the past 2 months! I've still been cooking and baking away in our tiny little kitchen, it's just that I really haven't had the time to post the pics, etc. But here and now starts my effort to go back in time and post all of our delicious bites you have been missing:


I will start up again with these delicate, sweet, and chewy Swedish pancakes! We have made these a few times since my last blog post-- once when our friends Matt and Lauren stayed with us for a weekend while in town for a wedding; and another time when Rose was staying with us and we had a handful of friends over for breakfast on the 4th of July before a long day at the beach!


These swedish pancakes are sooooo yummy. I love how dense, yet tender these thin little cakes are! I also love the smell and flavor of the vanilla in them :) These are so easy, and they use no special ingredients; just ones that you likely already have in your kitchen... they are a must-try!


Recipe (Serves 4):


  • 4 Tablespoons butter, plus additional for cooking skillet
  • 1 cup AP Flour
  • 1 3/4 cups Milk (I used NonFat)
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Possible Fillings or Toppings:
  • Berries, Whipped Cream, Syrup, and Powdered Sugar, Sweetened Mascarpone Cheese, Jam, Nutella

I melted the 4 Tbsps butter in the microwave and added it into the blender with all the other ingredients, until it was completely was smooth and there was not a single lump in the batter: 

**Note: the first time I made these, we whisked it all in a bowl and it was IMPOSSIBLE for me and Lauren to get all the little lumps out. I've found that the blender is really the best and easiest way to get a smooth batter.

Then it was also super easy to pour the batter onto the hot, buttered griddle! 

The first time I made these, I used my 12" nonstick fry pan (as you can see in the picture), but the next time I used my giant electric pancake griddle (not pictured) and THAT was MUCH more practical to expedite the cooking process of a million little swedish pancakes.

Pour the batter onto a hot, lightly buttered griddle and let it cook for about a minute or two, then flip it and let it sit for another 30 seconds or so.

Lauren loved these ones just because they were so beautiful looking; she called them Swedish 'coral'-cakes. This 'coral' design was made by melting more butter and then quickly pouring the batter right over the little puddle of bubbling, melting butter:

Here are Matt and Lauren on a walk along the Laguna Beach coves with Peter and I after breakfast when they stayed with us:

And here is everyone sitting outside under the gazebo enjoying a Swedish pancake breakfast on the 4th of July ...complete with red, white, & blue toppings- strawberries, whipped cream, & blueberries (Rose insisted that we had a festive breakfast to kick off the celebratory day :)

I learned online that these Swedish pancakes are folded in half, then half again (as you can see in the picture), and then topped  :)
But you could also fill them with sweetened mascarpone cheese, or jam, or anything, and THEN fold them too! Either way, these are DELICIOUS

We doubled the recipe on the 4th of July... and these were the sole survivors:
P.S. this Wilton Armetale platter is AWESOME, they can even go in the oven! While I was making the Swedish pancakes on the griddle, I had this platter warmed in a 150 degree F preheated oven and loaded the pancakes in as each one finished from the griddle and graduated to the oven to stay warm. THEN, this platter retains the heat and keeps the food warm while it is served on the table. I just love my Wilton Armetale trays; they can even go from freezer to oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment