Monday, September 26, 2011

Snickerdoodles


These cookies are wonderful all year round, but especially great during the fall since they have a hint of cinnamon. The first time I had ever heard of a 'snickerdoodle' was at one of my soccer games when I was a little girl. This is the recipe from the team mom who brought those snickerdoodles to that soccer game. Her daughter and I played on the same soccer team, and she brought these homemade cookies for an after game treat for all of us little soccer players. The cookies were so soft and chewy and delicious, that my mom and I asked her for the recipe. She didn't know the recipe off the top of her head, but set up a time to bring it over to our house. I remember sitting in the front swing, WAITING for her station wagon to pull up. When she finally arrived, she delivered her handwritten recipe on a little kitchen index card. We have been making these cookies from her handwritten index card ever since then! Years later, we mentioned something to her about how we still love making her snickerdoodles but she had no idea what we were talking about... she never remembered making them, having a recipe, anything! It's like a mythical cookie or something! I can only imagine that we must have made a copy for her at that time, and given it to her again. It would be a such a shame to lose such a treasure. Now I get to share it with you! Bake these cinnamon-sugary treats, and pass it on :)


Recipe: 
1 cup (2 sticks) Butter, salted
1 1/2 cups Sugar, white granulated
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Eggs
2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 3/4 to 3 cups Flour


4 teaspoons white granulated Sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon


I use an electric hand mixer to beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Then add in the cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, & flour and continue with electric mixer until combined. (I know dumping all the dry ingredients without mixing those together first is a big baker's no-no, but they've always turned out great, so I just keep on making them the way I've made them since I was little)

Take enough dough to roll it into a silver dollar sized ball. Roll it lightly between your hands, and then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture: 

Place cinnamon-sugared dough balls onto cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart:

Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. 
Do NOT overbake; you do not have to wait for them to turn golden-brown, or else they will be overcooked. After 8 minutes or so, remove them immediately from the oven and let them cool slightly, for just a minute or so, before enjoying these warm chewy treats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment