Thursday, December 22, 2011

Muddy Buddies!!!



I get so excited about Muddy Buddies because it means it's Christmas time!!! The first time I had these little treats was when my mom was teaching jr. high. I was in third grade at the time, and my mom came home from her classroom with tons of fun teacher gifts from her 7th grade students before Christmas break.... one of them was a big mason jar full of these muddy buddies! They were gone almost as soon as we cracked the jar open! My brother and sister and I all begged my mom to get the recipe from her student when she got back to school after break. 
13 years later, I still make these every Christmas and give them as gifts :) Sometimes I fill mason jars and tie them with a big Christmas ribbon, but this year I found some super cute ziplock bags that look like stockings! Whichever way you choose to wrap them up, make sure that it is sealed in an airtight package so that they keep their crunchy deliciousness.


These are easy, delicious, and addictive (beware!)


Recipe:

  • 1 cup choc chips
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 9 cups Chex cereal
  • 1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
Melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a large microwave safe bowl:

Once well melted, gently fold in the chex cereal until completely coated: 

Toss the coated chex with powdered sugar in a large (2 gallon) ziplock back and shake well. 

**Helpful hint #1: fold down the top of the baggie (as seen in picture) when filling it so that the ziplock remains clean. Otherwise, chocolate and sugar cover the ziplock and it is difficult to seal closed. 

**Helpful hint #2: put 1/2 the powdered sugar in the bag, then the chex, then the other half of powdered sugar and shake well until all the little chex get a white winter coat.

Spread 'snowy' muddy buddies out onto wax paper:

Mmmmmmm... these sweet, salty, crunchy goodies are SO addictive:

 Store or package in airtight baggies/jars/containers. 
Look at these perfect little stocking ziplock baggies for gifting Christmas goodies!

Baked-goodie boxes full of assorted homemade cookies, and stockings full of muddy buddies:

No comments:

Post a Comment