Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Jalapeno Cream Cheese-&-Crackers


This is another AWESOME appetizer.... and just in time for Super Bowl parties! 
Don't be deceived by the jalapeno, this appetizer is hardly spicy at all. You can control the heat by using mild jalapeno jelly. Plus, jelly has enough sugar in it that it mellows out the spiciness, and the cream cheese definitely calms down any spiciness as well. The first time I had this was at my Aunt's house like 15 years ago! She served this appetizer before dinner and I think I ate most of it! I LOVED it. As a little girl, I didn't like jalapenos or spicy foods at all (what kid does?), but this is an unusually tantalizing combination of flavors that you must try- even if you don't like spicy flavors. 


Now, there are not a lot of companies that make jalapeno jelly- so my only option is this one company that makes a mild jalapeno jelly in bright green, and a hot jalapeno jelly in bright red. I would prefer to serve the red color since it is more appetizing looking, but since appetizers are to serve a wide variety of people I usually opt for the mild version. Unfortunately, that leaves me with this alien-like bright green one. I'm going to have to start making my own homemade jalapeno jelly because this neon green isn't the most appetizing looking color to serve on a platter. Regardless if it makes people look twice, they will love it! I've had lots of 'spicy-food-haters' who are shocked at how much they love this simple snack and they end up being the ones who eat the most of it. 


It's simple; you can just pick up the 3 ingredients at the store on your way to an event and assemble it in 2 seconds when you get there. This is a great secret to keep in your back pocket for when you find yourself short on time!


This appetizer has all the makings of a beautifully addictive treat: the crackers make it crunchy and salty, the cheese makes it creamy and smooth, the jelly makes it sweet and spicy. This one's got it all :)


Shopping List:

  • 1 box Wheat Thins (reduced fat works fine also)
  • 1 (8 oz) box of Cream Cheese (light versions work well too)
  • 1 jar of Jalapeno Jelly (your choice of mild or hot)



Simply pour the jelly over the top of the cream cheese and serve with the crackers on the side. Don't forget a little cheese spreader knife as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment