Saturday, March 19, 2011

Easy Candied Walnuts


My family LOVES to eat at the Nordstrom Cafe. My favorite things there are their salads and their white chocolate bread pudding. Unfortunately they do not serve the bread pudding anymore, BUT we do have the Nordstrom Cafe cookbook. Today I am going to share with you the recipe for the candied walnuts from the Nordstrom cookbook. These candied walnuts are one of the things I love about their salads.


This time, I made these delicious candied nuts to be part of a yummy pear salad for dinner, but they also make a great topping for ice cream too! Each batch of this recipe makes about 2 salads worth. I like that because I just have to make it once, baggy half of it, and it stretches for 2 whole salads :)
(Peter thinks these make great snacks just straight out of the baggy, so I have to hide them well in my cupboards otherwise I'm afraid I'll plan another salad but pull out an empty bag! haha)


Recipe:
1 large Egg White
2 1/2 cups Walnuts (about 10 oz)
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Then, in a bowl, whisk the egg white to a semi-firm peak (so that there is NO liquid left in the bowl)

 Fold in the walnuts and the brown sugar until well coated:


Then spread the nuts on a cookie sheet that is lined with a silpat, parchment paper, or is prepared with a nonstick spray. Try to somewhat separate the walnuts so that they don't bake into a giant clump.


Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes. Immediately loosen them from the baking sheet and let them cool on a plate. (They only take about 30 seconds to cool and crunch up on the plate before they are ready to be used in the salad)


We crunched on these candied nuts in this super yummy pear salad (vinaigrette recipe here)

No comments:

Post a Comment